Monday, March 30, 2009

Play Your Own Game

What an unbelievable finish to the Bay Hill Classic this weekend with Tiger Woods sinking that long birdie putt on the 18th for the second year in a row to win the tournament on the last hole! It was incredible as he stayed focused on his game. Tiger didn't allow his thoughts to go to competing players but focused on his game and his strengths. What about you and your journey?
Do you allow others to distract you and cause fear based thoughts or do you stay focused on a positive outcome for you?

After losing a ball previously, it would have been easy for Tiger or anyone to have allowed his thoughts to have strayed to the other players games or to have stayed in the negative after losing the ball but he focused on "staying in the now" and on his game and finished strong. A great example for all of us in personal relationships and in business not to give our power away but to be ourselves and play our own game and stay in the present!

Tiger's performance had me reflecting again on life and Aunt Milly. One of the impressive things about my Aunt Milly was that she was "love based" not "fear based".
There were times where she could have judged me. Like the time I had long hair in college where many adults frowned on that at the time. She instead commented that fads happened and how she remembered Gram Prescott talking about the fad of swallowing goldfish! Sure enough that was the fad in the spring of 1939 and many folks judged the students that were doing this. Aunt Milly never showed judgment but would listen and observe and give some input with a smile!

Aunt Milly always had a smile on her face as she played her own game! When Uncle John would get upset over something she would just go along doing her thing showing some empathy but not being pulled into the drama. Do you allow others to cause you to get sucked into their drama or do you listen and stay focused on your own game looking for the positive in the other person?

Many times in life we need to take a break and go inside of ourselves for answers. Sometimes others can try to change us for their own benefit or take away our power in relationships by giving ultimatums or playing control games. I gave away my power in one relationship and realized later in life that had been a mistake thinking I could make that other person happy. They never were and I was always to blame. A lesson for me was to take my own power back and be myself and know that others in my life should take Aunt Milly's advice and not judge others but show compassion. My partner at the time needed to go within and not look for someone outside to make them happy. For me after that experience, not only did I learn not to give away my power again and to be myself but not to judge others either or look for the answer outside of myself but to go within!

For a few years after dissolving the partnership, I was so upset with my partner and blaming them, until I learned to look upon them as a great teacher showing me contrast. My partner in looking back had helped me realize what I wanted in a partner and what I didn't want in one! They also grew up in a different environment with their own perceptions on life which to them made their observations right about doing things their way. The lesson taught me to not to try to change anyone and for me to play my game with respect and unconditional love for any relationship whether biz or personal as we are all connected.What about you? Playing your own game or allowing someone to distract you for their own benefit by playing fear based games? Or is your partner trying to get you to take your eye off the ball on your journey of life? Get back to being yourself with compassion for others like Aunt Milly did by example! An option for all of us is to go with the flow, show respect and unconditional love for others without judging them and play your own game of life while taking time out to go within for answers! Hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment