Monday, April 6, 2009

Do You Remember When?

I was thinking the other day how the earth is spinning faster and faster. Each day of the week seems to fly by as do the weeks, months, years. Do you feel this way? Are you living life with passion for what you do each day?

One day while visiting Aunt Milly at the Assisted Living Complex she asked me to lie down on the bed with her. I took my camera and snapped a picture of us. We were laughing and I realized that she might not be around in a year and to ask some questions about life. I now wish I had recorded the conversation. So now having learned from that, I will record conversations with my parents about their memories and upbringing. What about you? Have you recorded any conversations to reflect on after someone has transitioned or to leave for your kids some history?

That day Aunt Milly out of the blue said to me, "Do you remember when you were about 15 and you were a bartender for a party for us?" "Of course" I said. You always looked so elegant and always had a smile on your face Mil. Your neighborhood was there and you all had a great time sharing stories." "Well she said, you didn't know it but I knew that you were sneaking and sipping mistakes that night of rum and coke!" I looked at her and said "You kept that secret all those years!" She had the biggest grin on her face knowing she had shocked me and how we both had a good laugh about that. I thought for years I had pulled a fast one on her. It showed me nothing got by her and how it seemed like yesterday that I was a bartender at that party.

At a certain point she was ready for a nap and I left her, looking at her with a smile knowing that we both had a joyful day. Moments like that are what life is about! Joy, happiness, listening, knowing that the other person appreciates your company. Milly had shown unconditional love and compassion for me back that night I bartended. She was smiling knowing she was observing growth and a moment in time that could be shared later in life!

As I left her that day to take her nap, I saw other elders who were all alone. I stopped and heard some of their stories. Many had relatives that were too busy to stop by. I am not judging those relatives but there is so much wisdom and love that could be shared with a visit to the assisted living complexes. Have you ever taken time to stop by and volunteer to listen or go for a short walk? The treadmill of life goes faster and faster. I believe as kids, the adults in our life watch over us and there comes a time where the favor should be returned. Everything that goes around comes around one way or another. Take time to go within as time goes by so fast! Love up everyone as we are all connected and realize the irritating moments are lessons for us to learn from.

Visnu mentioned " Give your full thought force to love and understanding and tenderness,
for these repeated words are all the keys you need to turn the lock that will give you a fuller meaning to your life on earth." Aunt Milly was a great example of those words with her love, understanding and tenderness! Take time out to reflect and remember when?

No comments:

Post a Comment